Perspectives Posted on 2023-02-22 11:10:50
The training system of the World Organisation for Animal Health
Nadège Leboucq (1)* & Barbara Alessandrini (1)
(1) Capacity-building Department, World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH).
Corresponding author: N. Leboucq.
The year 2018 marked ten years since the launch of the Focal Points global capacity-building programme. In acknowledgement of this, WOAH has started to rethink its training system in depth and created a Global Platform for the Training of Veterinary Services, with a five-year work plan. This initiative supports Strategic Objective 3 of the WOAH Seventh Strategic Plan, ‘Driving a high level of support to WOAH Members, through standards and capacity building’. Under this new global platform, the five pillars of the WOAH training system are being constructed, namely:
- a robust competency-based training framework
- a training portal with an online training catalogue
- training guidelines for professional approaches to all steps of the training cycle
- training resources and programmes, whether face to face or at a distance
- new option for targeted support of the PVS Pathway on veterinary education, to assist Members with national training capacity.
All these pillars are building blocks of the WOAH Corporate Learning Strategy, which is currently under development. The inception phase, in which all the pillars will be put into place, will be long and costly in both human and financial resources, and donors are encouraged to fund the whole system for harmonious and efficient deployment.
The new training system cuts across WOAH core missions and establishes strong operational links and mutual reinforcement with other WOAH key initiatives, such as the PVS Pathway, the Observatory, the digital transformation programme and all information and knowledge systems. Links will also be created with training systems of other international organisations, particularly those of the Quadripartite (1).
The training system has already started to provide training services to Members (Fig. 1). Our ambition is that, at the end of the Seventh Strategic Plan, the WOAH training system will be robust enough to provide training solutions to all Members’ issues in regard to the quality and management of their Veterinary Services.
(1) The Quadripartite is composed of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Health Organization (WHO).